Ozone can have a strong disinfecting effect: in just 30 seconds it destroys 99.9 percent of bacteria that cause decay, without damaging teeth or the body in the process.
What can ozone treatment be used for?
- If you absolutely want to avoid the pain associated with anesthetic and drilling, ozone treatment could be a solution, because it can make your treatment painless, quick and safe. It is best suited for decay on chewing surfaces. The enamel of the tooth undergoing treatment only needs to be „opened” (where there are no nerves, so it’s completely painless) for the ozone to reach its target. Next, the instrument’s silicone hood is fitted over the tooth and disinfection with ozone gas can begin. Ozone penetrates the decayed parts easily, so a treatment of only 20 seconds is enough to destroy 99.9% of the bacteria causing decay. The decayed area does not need to be removed or drilled, so the structure of the tooth suffers less damage. This is followed by filling the tooth.
- Treatment of sensitivity in the tooth neck: Certain wear can appear along the gum line on the outer surface of the teeth, where bacteria can adhere. They can be destroyed easily with ozone treatment.
- During root canal treatment: Our aim is to destroy the bacteria in the root and help end inflammation. Disinfecting the infected root canals with ozone gas increases the effectiveness of the root canal treatment.
- Sterilization of fissures before fissure sealing: Primarily due to the difficulty of cleaning them, the fissures found on tooth surfaces are very susceptible to decay. With children, we advise filling these fissures with special filling material at the age of 6-9 years in order to prevent decay. We recommend ozone treatment prior to sealing, as it disinfects and prepares the surface to be treated.
- Sterilization of tooth surfaces: Prior to fillings, inserts and dentures, for sterilization of tooth surfaces and areas to be treated.
- Sterilization of the mouth’s mucous membranes and surrounding area (in the case of cold sores and canker sores): Ozone treatment of the infected area destroys the viruses and bacteria, for a quicker and less painful recovery. It is important to note that most dental treatments can only be done if and when the mouth’s mucous membranes and outer area are healthy.